Name that baby!
 

 
Nine months is just about enough to find a good name for your baby girl. Then our baby was born. Our son.
 
 
 
» Email the baby
» Jessica's pages
» Mammapappa


Show me where you're from!

Blogs away!
» Francis Strand
» Jocke's Saltmannen
» There&Back

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet



 
 
Saturday, September 10, 2005
 
Another way

RK left a comment about the name choosing process.
Why don't you wait until the baby is born and then choose the name?
Of course you will have to have a name for the hospital register, but wouldn't it be fair to your baby to be around with him/her a little before you decide what you should call him/her?
Actually, as far as I know, we don't even have to have a name for the hospital. And with Hannes, we had booked airline tickets before he was born - heh - so in his first ticket it just says "Baby Arhammar."

Traditionally, in Finland, the name is kept under wraps until the baptizing of the baby. Now, that somehow seems ridiculous, too, expecially since the baby is referred to "baby," "their baby," or "Shmo" (or any other nickname you can think of) until That Day.

Now, I am one of those people who was called something else until that Day. All my family - with the exception of my mom and dad - thought I was Kalle. Until the priest said, "forget Kalle, this guy is something else ... Risto." Or something like that. I was too busy screaming that I didn't hear him.

My parents made a last minute change, and so will we, should the baby not be anything like the name we choose. But if the name fits...

I also think that the baby will make the name whatever she chooses to. The "meaning" of the name will simply change.

Make sense?

Comments:
Kalle? Kalle?!?!!!!!! Wait, was that what they had originally thought to name you, or just a temporary name...?
 
Post a Comment

 

 
   
  This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.  

Home  |  Archives